Saturday 23 November 2013

A Take on Cake with: Verusca Walker- New South Wales, Australia

Verusca Walker has conquered many hurdles in her life to come out on top as one of the world’s most magnificent cake decorators. Her creations are mind blowing, as they sit on their immaculately covered cake boards, looking pristine and defying gravity. 

Verusca’s cakes always leave people awestruck and questioning- how on earth did she do that?

As a much loved role model to many budding cake decorators, Verusca always goes out of her way to pass on her extensive wealth of knowledge to others.

Verusca's mind is constantly in overdrive, always thinking of her next great masterpiece to reveal to the world. Marianna’s Caking Me Crazy was thrilled to chat with Verusca, here’s what she had to say about her ongoing journey through cake.

When did you realise that you wanted to become a cake decorator and how did you start?

I was doing fine arts at Tafe with major in sculpture and photography. So for my daughter’s 1st birthday 2005 I decided to make a cake carved in the shape of Noah’s Ark, it was a great hit, so for her next two birthday I also made carved cakes and then all the mothers from play group, family members and friends started asking me for cakes.



Can you give us a little background on where you grew up and when you moved to Australia?

I was born in Sao Paulo Brazil in 1973.
My mother died from cancer age 29 years old, when I was only 11 years old.
At age 24 with a degree in Secretary Bilingual I came to Australia to study English.
Here I met my husband and got married in 2000
I worked as a cleaner for 4 years to pay for my education in Fine Arts and later after the birth of my daughter I start baking cakes.


How many years have you been in the Cake Industry for and what changes have you seen over that time?

I went back to Tafe and did a Baking course and in less than 6 month I got offered a job in a major cake shop in Wollongong NSW. So since January 2009 I have been making cakes professionally.
In 2011, I was offered the opportunity to teach and seeing than I taught at many well know cake Decorating Schools and now I am teaching online and travelling overseas.
I feel very blessed. I could never imagine that I would be where I am today, just by baking and decorating cakes.

You run many classes, what are your most popular and which is your favourite to teach?

Ohhh yes!!!! My life is crazy. I teach every week and weekends + my private orders and my family commitments.
My favourite classes are the ones that students have the freedom to make and choose their own colours and design. I always make sure that my students have total control of their work.
My carousel class and shoe classes is the most enjoyable because they always surprise me with their creativity.

What do you enjoy most about teaching people the amazing art of sugar?     

Well a long time ago I posted some photos of the cakes I was doing on Deviant art. http://verusca.deviantart.com/
That was in 2005. Because of my language barrier I choose to take photos step-by-step how I was doing. It went crazy and in less than 2 years everybody knew who I was.
They write messages and feedback and most of the time they send me photos of the accomplished pieces…. This is the part I enjoy the most. I enjoy interacting with my cake decorator’s friends. People with the same passion.
I also enjoy seeing the smile on my students face, the feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment.



Is there one cake that you get asked to create a lot?

Yes …. 3D cars - Wiggles Car, Light McQueen Car. In fact I make a car every week. It is one of the “Must have skills” for a cake decorator.






Where do you find the inspiration to continually come up with new designs?

To find inspiration is easy…. I see new cakes in everything… my husband and daughter thinks I am quiet crazy really… I can look to a dress or even mold on the wall and I an inspired. My problem now is time. I just don’t have time to seat and create.

Do you have a creative process you follow to create a cake from start to finish?

I like to bake my own cakes, I make my own ganache, I research a lot about materials and design + dimensions…. I make scale models with cardboard, I spend a lot of hours to design classes that will use the minimal time with maximum return and very cheap material.

What has been your most challenging cake?

I didn't have one yet. Where I live people can’t afford big cakes or very expensive cakes so I never got a challenge yet.
I made cakes that deify gravity, hanging cakes, upside down cakes, standing on one leg…. 
I say keep coming…. Anything is possible…. ;)

What is your most popular cake flavour with your clients?

Chocolate cake is always the favourite

What words of wisdom do you have for up and coming cake decorators?

Practice, practice and practice. You will only learn and get confidence with practice ;)  Don’t be greed. Don’t think you are better than anybody else.
And if you are a business, please pay your workers on time. That is nothing more degraded them not get pay. It is like you are saying to your worker that his work is not that important so you will delay the payment.

                                             
What cake decorating tool can you simply not live without and how do you use it?

I have some very expensive tools that I don’t leave without:
A straw, a Stanley knife blade and a wooden skewers. .. ;)

I also love my flower modelling tool and my airbrush. Of course!!!!

Which one of your cakes is your favourite?
I do love dark gothic cakes and tattoo line cakes.

What makes you so passionate about cake decorating?

Colours, textures, ugly things…. “”LIFE””



What do you think every beginner decorator should have in their box of cake tools?

Passion and commitment.
Cake decorators work day and night, we work weekend, we work work work… this is not a joke.

Our cakes will be the centre piece in a party. It is the most important part in a celebration. People stay until the end just to see you cut a cake. It symbolize the start of a new life…. It is the wish you make at the first cut… it is the love you share.

Remember in a party there is at least 3 people. If they like your cake you have at least 3 new clients. So make an effort. If you think she is not paying much, if looks good and taste good she and her friend will be back to you. ;)
Is the best advertise you can pay.

How do you remain competitive and try to stand out from other decorators in such an evolving industry?

I am not trying to compete with anybody. I think what is keeping me where I am today is the fact that I know price and time is everything. You can invest a lot money in classes and create beautiful work of art cakes but if you are not able to sell it there is no point.
My cakes are created for retail. I can guarantee a great return. I make my pieces considering, humidity and all types of conditions.  

As the year draws to a close, what do you think have been the most significant cake trends for 2013?

Definitely online classes.
Learning Cake Decorating Online took cake decorating to another level.  And I am very happy and proud to be part of it.  https://fr139.infusionsoft.com/go/LCDO2014/veruscawalker/

What do you think will be trending in 2014, will you be setting any trends for us to follow?

As any other year for me is all about feedback and keep in touch with my followers. 
I do have the laugh of my website www.veruscawalkercakes.com.au  and my book.
The rest I will try to keep exactly has I am. Try to answer my E-mails and messages and help as much I can. That is what makes the difference.

You have many tutorials will you be creating any for us in the New Year?

Of course!!!! My mind is bubbling right now!!!!!


What Cake Decorating classes do you have coming up in 2014?

I have my 3D motorbike cake with one incredible easy and cheap structure that anyone can make at home no carpenter required. Same for my air plane and guitar/violin classes
I have new design shoe and bag + thank you to Bake Boss I can create some licensed characters.
So… Yes plenty more to come next year.

Will you be running any classes across Australia? If so where?

This is my dates with Bake Boss, but I do have more classes coming soon in the Illawarra area.

QLD - 2nd and 3rd May - 6th and 7th Jun - 8th and 9th Aug - 17th and 18th Oct
MEL - 9th and 10th May - 13th and 14th Jun - 22nd and 23rd Aug - 31st and 1st Oct/Nov
SYD - 16th and 17th May - 20th and 21st Jun - 15th and 16th Aug - 24th and 25th Oct
PER - 23rd and 24th May - 27th and 28th Jun - 1st and 2nd Aug - 10th and 11th Oct



Will you be travelling in 2014 to teach internationally?

Yes, will be in Europe for 40 days February to March 2014
Bilbao and Barcelona http://www.golosinasmagia.com
Malaga  - www.mercadulce.net

I am in negotiation with NZ for April or July 2014

And I am already booking classes for 2015 - 20th to 26th of January 2015
Bangkok, Thailand http://www.sweetobsession.com/

Do you find any facets of cake decorating overseas more popular than in Australia? If so what are they?

No, they want to learn the same things, but they also go to a lot of effort just to meet the artist.

Can you give away any of your secrets that make you amazing decorator?

I have a Facebook group, I have a virtual gallery and I have my website coming soon. I share everything I know. If you come to one of my classes you will never leave without one answered question
What are you most favourite mediums to use when modelling your figures and decorations?

Fondant and Tylose

As a talented cake decorator how do you advance on the skills you already have?

Well I never had money to do classes and now I don’t have time, what kept me going is books. But I must say I try not to look online too much because it kills your creative side and you end up influenced by somebody else’s work.

What's one technique that you wish you saw more of in cake decorating?

Airbrush

Where do you see yourself in the next 10 years in terms of cake decorating and 
teaching?

Hope making cakes still, special for my daughter’s 21st birthday.
I have no high expectations and really all I want is not to lose my passion for cake decoration.

Do you have a most memorable cake decorating disaster? 

My first cake for my boss it was a motorbike helmet and cracked on the middle with the weight.
I was in panic and almost crying…. And my boss look to me and said…. Everything can be fixed Verusca so don’t panic. A good cake decorator know how to fix mistakes. He made a glue with the leftover fondant that I used for the cake and filled the cracks.
And in 1 minute the crack disappear.

I learned right there to be more confident and don’t be scare to take risks.



Thank you Verusca for taking the time to share your journey in cake with us! We wish you well for your busy year ahead, and look forward to seeing more of those gravity defying creations!

To find out more about Verusca's classes, check out her cake decorating tips or look at her amazing work visit her pages.



 All images are courtesy of Verusca Walker- all pictures are subject to copyright.

mariannacakingmecrazy@gmail.com 
https://www.facebook.com/MariannasCakingMeCrazy
http://www.pinterest.com/cakingmecrazy/boards/

No comments:

Post a Comment