Monday 14 April 2014

The Grounds of Alexandria

In the heart of Sydney’s bustling suburb Alexandria, is a corner block that is somewhat a cross between a small European village and scenes from the movie “The Secret Garden”- especially today as I am here on a very rainy day (it just makes it all the more magical).


As soon as you set foot inside The Grounds you certainly escape reality for a moment.
My first stop was the Italian Delicatessen Salts Meats Cheese . It was stocked full to the brim with delicious goodies!


There were an array of assorted preserved meats and cheese.

Along with shelves (yes I said shelves) of chocolate from all over Europe. My favourite was this collection from Germany, what great packaging to grab a consumer’s attention- it definitely worked on me.

 I was surprised to see all the different flavoured salts on offer there was even Merlot flavoured salt… I couldn’t help but wonder how these different flavours could be used in my baking to bring a sweet and savoury element together.  I have jotted this down as a must try on my to-do list!


As I continued on through The Grounds there was plenty of inspiration around for cake decorating with beautiful flowers and fury friends.


Once I reached the heart of The Grounds I knew I was in heaven!


So many different desserts and cakes to choose from! Chocolate filled donuts and croissants, mini croquembouche, polenta cake, mille-feuille, pisatcio encrusted brownies and seriously the list goes on.  





It was extremely difficult to choose and as much as I wanted to try one of everything my waistline simply would not allow (It was already suffering from the redskin macarons I had from Baked Patisserie yesterday)!!!

So after much deliberation I chose the Salted Chocolate Caramel Tart. I think to describe it as amazing is an understatement.





The chocolate was so soft and melted in your mouth and the caramel just oozed with every bite, the touch of salt you got every now and then took it to the next level. As I write that overall this Salted Caramel Chocolate tart was a 10 and it was perfection because it was not too sweet, I think I may qualify as a judge on the next series of My Kitchen Rules!  

At some point I need to get in the kitchen to try recreating this tart, it would be an awesome way to finish off a dinner party.


Dessert aside I needed something to drink… what could be better than good old fashioned lemonade with a twist? My rose lemonade was like drinking Turkish Delight! I wanted to stay at The Grounds forever, my other half and children said I wasn't allowed (insert long gloomy face).  

 






















The landscaping in this place is unreal that alone is worth checking this place out.


Obviously the gardens are commercially made and The Grounds is a fairly new place (it opened in 2012), but some areas, such as this old greenhouse that appears strangled by the passionfruit vines looks as though it has been there overgrown and rust for years.


So sitting in my enchanted green house, what better way to finish off my meal than with a gourmet cheese burger! (You always start with dessert first when you’re a cake decorator right)?


 On The Grounds there’s also great coffee, freshly made bread and a petite barn with some farm animals for the kids. The staff who served us were all very friendly and always had a smile on their faces, overall I think this is my new favourite place in Sydney and that’s saying a lot!



The Grounds holds various fresh food market days, barista courses and other boutique events. It even has facilities to hold your next function... something I will be keeping in mind. 





Just for a heads up- if you’re looking for me one day and can’t find me, look in the greenhouse at The Grounds of Alexandria– I’m likely to be sitting there devouring desserts! 

mariannacakingmecrazy@gmail.com 
https://www.facebook.com/MariannasCakingMeCrazy 
http://www.pinterest.com/cakingmecrazy/boards/

No comments:

Post a Comment